Two young French brothers, aged five and three, were discovered alone, blindfolded, and distraught in a remote wooded area of southern Portugal on Tuesday evening, sparking a cross-border investigation into alleged child abandonment and neglect. Barthelemy, five, and his three-year-old brother Zacharie were found by local residents Eugenia and Artur Quintas at approximately 7 p.m. along the N235 highway, a rural stretch connecting Alcacer do Sal and Comporta.
"This is a trauma that will remain, just like when we get a tattoo. It stays for life." — Melanie Tavares, Child Psychologist
The Quintas family's evening drive turned into a rescue mission when they spotted the sobbing children wandering alone in the dirt. Artur Quintas described the heartbreaking scene, stating, "They were crying, they were terrified. They were crying and calling for their father." The boys were visibly injured, covered in dirt and bruises, with one having hurt his knee. They carried only a spare change of clothes, two pieces of fruit, and two small bottles of water, lacking any identifying documents.
Upon bringing the children into their home, the Quintas family immediately contacted police. Authorities swiftly arrived and transported the boys to Setúbal Hospital for a comprehensive medical evaluation. Doctors confirmed both children were physically unharmed, and subsequent toxicology reports showed neither had been drugged.
Investigators began to piece together the harrowing ordeal through questioning the young boys. The children revealed they had traveled from France with their mother, 41-year-old Marine, believed to be from Colmar, eastern France, and her partner, Marc. They recounted a chilling "game" designed to "drive away the devil," as described by their mother and stepfather. The adults placed blindfolds over the boys' eyes before leading them deep into a wooded area. They were instructed to remove the blindfolds only after locating a knife the couple claimed to have buried, which they were then told to use to cut themselves free.
The boys clawed through the dirt for several minutes before Barthelemy managed to pull off his blindfold. The forest was empty; their parents were gone. Still believing they were part of a game, the two brothers wandered the Portuguese wilderness alone for hours. Temperatures in that region of Portugal typically reach 30 degrees Celsius during the day at this time of year. Artur Quintas recalled the older boy's account: "The oldest one told me that he and his brother had gotten lost in the forest and that their father and mother had left without taking them." Quintas added, "I realised right away that they had been abandoned by the backpacks. When I saw the way the backpacks were packed, I knew they had been abandoned."
Through the French embassy in Portugal, authorities confirmed the boys had no blood relatives in the country. The children have since been placed into foster care and are scheduled for transfer to the French embassy. A cross-border investigation involving both Portuguese and French law enforcement agencies has been initiated. This probe established that Marine had vanished with the two boys approximately two weeks before their discovery, embarking on a lengthy road trip that culminated in their abandonment. Records show the family crossed into Portugal from Spain on May 11 via the Bragança border crossing. They traveled over 310 miles, moving through the Miranda do Corvo region before heading south toward Alcacer do Sal, where they stayed at a local hotel just 12 miles from where the boys were ultimately found.
Back in France, the boys’ maternal grandmother had already reported the children missing to police, stating their mother had taken them. The children’s biological father, who is separated from Marine, filed a separate child abduction report. Colmar prosecutor Jean Richert commented on the biological father's reaction to Le Parisien, saying, "He’s like everyone else, he doesn’t understand." French authorities have confirmed prior knowledge of Marc, who is believed to suffer from a psychiatric disorder.
French prosecutors have since launched a child neglect case, while Portuguese courts have opened an urgent legal procedure in the family and juvenile court in Santiago do Cacem. Portuguese police have refrained from formally classifying the case as an abduction, with a spokesman stating that "All possibilities are being considered."
Child psychologist Melanie Tavares, speaking to CNN Portugal, issued a stark warning about the long-term impact on the two boys. She identified the profound emotional distress they will face, stating, "It’s the feeling of abandonment, of being lost, unprotected, of not having familiar resources to ultimately soothe the fear." Tavares anticipates a range of expected symptoms, including severe sleep disruption, changes in eating behavior, persistent irritability, and withdrawal from others. She stressed the need for vigilance: "This will obviously bring, in the coming days, some symptoms to which those caring for these children will have to be very attentive." The psychologist also cautioned that the parents' use of a fabricated game could permanently alter the children’s ability to trust adult figures. On the permanence of the experience, Tavares was direct: "This is a trauma that will remain, just like when we get a tattoo. It stays for life."